Here are 10 thoughts that have been on my mind these past 10 days:
1. I’ve been given a son, who was made by God, that I might love God all the more and that I might show a child the Love that God is.
2. Without Jesus, I would not be able to relate to God the way my son relates to me. Through Jesus, however, I get to relate to God the way my son gets to relate to me.
3. ”God, who needs nothing, loves into existence wholly superfluous creatures in order that He may love and perfect them.” -C.S. Lewis
4. What do I love so much that I’d give up my son for it? God loves the world so much that He gave His Son.
5. My son cries whenever he’s apart from his parents. Do I do the same when separated from my Father?
6. My son cries when he needs to be cleaned, and even pushes me away as I try to clean him. Do I do the same?
7. ”Whether it be weakness or strength, sweetness or bitterness, temptation, distraction, pain, weariness, uncertainty, or blessing, all should be received as equal from the Lord’s hand. None of these should delay your course even for a moment.” -J. Guyon
8. I’ve had to apologize to my wife just about every day since my son was born for sinning against God and her. What pride was hiding before January 20 that kept me from seeing the darkness of my heart? And what a gift to have it exposed by the Light!
9. Parenthood offers God’s children endless new frontiers of dependence upon Him. This is one of the greatest benefits of parenthood.
10. ”To such as these belong the kingdom.” Am I as an infant before Jesus? Humble, needy, helpless, in awe, weak, desperate, trusting, comforted, fed, clothed, and loved?